When you’re trying to make money online with affiliate marketing, one of the first things you must do is find an affiliate network to work with. These networks allow you to recommend products to your audience and earn commissions when people make purchases based on your recommendations.
One network that many people choose to work with at some point in time is called Clickbank. Is Clickbank a good network to work with? In this Clickbank affiliate network review, we’re going to be looking at how Clickbank works and whether you should consider working with them to recommend products to your own audience.
What is Clickbank?
Clickbank is a marketplace that allows people to create and sell their own goods and products on a worldwide scale. They also allow affiliate marketers to recommend these products and earn commissions that can be as high as 75%. Most products offered at Clickbank or digital in nature, but there are some that also have physical goods with them.
Clickbank was created more than 20 years ago and has been a go to affiliate network for many new marketers for much of that time.
Who Is the Clickbank Affiliate Program for?
The Clickbank affiliate program can be a great program for a variety of different people. Typically, those who benefit most from it are newcomers to affiliate marketing as Clickbank has very low barriers to entry with most people being approved after applying the first time.
Even though beginners often benefit the most from working with Clickbank, many experienced affiliate marketers also use the platform as it allows them to offer digital goods to their audience and earn very high commissions promoting quality products. The key is to make certain that you are completing your due diligence to ensure the products you recommend are of the highest quality.
What Types of Products Can You Find at Clickbank?
As briefly mentioned above, most products available at Clickbank or digital goods. These include things like e-books, digital courses including videos, software, apps, extensions and similar products. Again, there are a few physical goods available through Clickbank, but typically those products are included in a bundle alongside digital goods.
The variety of different digital goods products is what attracts many new affiliate marketers to the platform in the first place. As you can see in the image below, you can find everything from antivirus software to entrepreneur courses, cookbooks, self-help products and much more.
Clickbank offers some type of product for almost every niche out there. The problem is that sometimes these products are not very well created or they may not offer exactly what your audience is looking for.
This doesn’t mean that there aren’t some great products available at Clickbank. In fact, in some niches, many of the top products on the market are available on the Clickbank marketplace.
For example, if you’re involved in the photography niche, there is a course called “Fro Knows Photo” that many people rave about across various photography forums and message boards all over the Internet. If you’re running a website about photography and choose to promote this product, you could earn commissions as high as $32 per sale.
How Does Clickbank Pay You?
One of the biggest concerns that many people have when joining any new affiliate program is how they’re going to get paid. With Clickbank, this is where they really shine. This is because Clickbank offers multiple payment options depending on how many commissions you’re earning.
Clickbank pays out as infrequently as monthly or as often as every week, if you’re earning enough commissions to break through the payment threshold. The good news is that you set your own threshold amount that can range from $10 all the way up to $1 million. When you first get started with Clickbank, your payment threshold is defaulted to $100.
Clickbank has a reputation for paying out its affiliates and product creators on time. In the Internet marketing community, you very rarely hear about people who have truly earned their commissions not receiving them.
Clickbank allows for you to choose whether you wish to be paid by check or direct deposit. For those choosing to be paid by direct deposit, you can be paid as frequently as every week while people receiving checks can be paid out as frequently as biweekly.
As with many other affiliate networks, there is a delay between the time you earn commissions and the time that there available for payout. With Clickbank, the commissions you earn are paid out 2 weeks after you earn them. This is actually a very short waiting period as many affiliate networks like Amazon make you wait up to 90 days after earning a commission before you receive payment.
The main issue with Clickbank payments is that there are a couple of hurdles you must overcome before you can receive your first commission payout.
The Negative Side of Clickbank Payments
There are a couple of complaints that many affiliate marketers have when it comes to Clickbank. The first is that you must meet what Clickbank refers to as a “customer distribution requirement” before you’re able to receive any payments from Clickbank. This “customer distribution requirement” requires you to have a minimum of 5 sales and 2 different payment methods before you can withdraw money from your Clickbank account.
While this sounds like a very easy requirement to achieve, for some people, this can be very challenging. This is mainly because of the requirement for you to have 2 different payment methods before you’re able to withdraw money. These payment methods can include American Express, Carte Bleue, Diners Club, Discover, Maestro, MasterCard, PayPal and Visa.
There are a lot of different payment options to choose from, but the problem that many affiliate marketers run into is that most people prefer to use payment processing services like PayPal which can make getting the second payment method a bit of a hassle.
The good news is that you only must achieve the “customer distribution requirement” one time during the life of your Clickbank account. Once you’ve met the minimum requirements, you don’t have to worry about it any longer and can earn commissions without any restrictions.
This policy was put into place because during the early years of Clickbank, many people would create affiliate accounts and make purchases just to acquire a discount on goods and courses that were offered inside the platform. Unfortunately, this practice resulted in the limitations of the “customer distribution requirement” being put in place.
The second complaint that many people have about Clickbank payments is that you can lose your commissions if you do not have earnings for an extended period.
If you have a balance in your Clickbank account and haven’t made sales for 90 days, Clickbank begins to deduct $1 per pay period and increases this amount to $5 per pay period after 180 days of no earnings. If you go a full year without earning any commissions and still have a balance in your Clickbank account, you will be charged $50 per pay period until your account balance reaches zero.
This really isn’t an issue so long as you have already overcome the “customer distribution requirement” mentioned above and you’re paying attention to your affiliate account and requesting payouts to avoid these fees.
The final issue, and perhaps the biggest one, that many affiliate marketers have with Clickbank is that there are frequent chargebacks for many products on the platform. When customers who have made purchases on Clickbank request a refund, you lose your commission just like you do on almost every affiliate platform on the Internet. The best advice to avoid this issue is to promote quality products that you’ve reviewed yourself before promoting them to your audience.
Pros and Cons of the Clickbank Affiliate Network
- Low Barrier to Entry – Many affiliate networks on the Internet have traffic requirements, types of traffic they won’t accept and other similar restrictions. When it comes to Clickbank, many of these barriers to entry are nonexistent.
- Good for Beginners – Because of the low barrier to entry and large product selection, Clickbank is an optimal choice for newcomers to affiliate marketing.
- High Commissions – Many of the products offer no Clickbank offer commissions that range from 25% to 50% with some products even offering commissions as high as 75%. With many products available in the Clickbank marketplace, you could earn commissions that range from $20 all the way up to thousands of dollars per sale.
- Frequent Payouts – Many affiliate networks only payout monthly or even quarterly. With Clickbank, you can expect to receive payments every week if you enroll in direct deposit and are having frequent sales.
- Helpful Product Creators – Many of the product creators and Clickbank have created marketing materials, guides, review copies of their products, and much more. Many of the product creators on Clickbank understand that you earn more money, they earn more money. Because of this they are often willing to go above and beyond to make certain that you have everything you need to succeed with promoting their product.
- High Refund Frequency – When it comes to chargebacks and refunds, every product is unique. To have the best success, make certain that you try the product you are planning to promote first before promoting it. Make certain that it is a high-quality product before you recommend it to anyone else. With that said, some refunds are expected and unfortunately, there isn’t a whole lot you can do about it.
- The Customer Distribution Requirement – Achieving 5 transactions using 2 different payment methods may sound simple, but it can be challenging for some newcomers to affiliate marketing. Many people become discouraged while they’re waiting to break through this requirement and ultimately give up before they ever receive their first commission check.
- Some Terrible Products – Ultimately, Clickbank is a marketplace that allows product creators to sell their products without too much policing involved. Because of this, some products on the platform are very low quality with some products failing to deliver what’s promised. Therefore, it’s very important that you make certain to try all the products you plan to promote before promoting them to your audience.
- Poor Communication from Product Creators – While some product creators go above and beyond to ensure your able to succeed with your marketing efforts, others won’t respond to you regardless of how many times you try to reach out to them. If you try to contact a product creator multiple times and failed to receive a response, you may want to consider looking for another product to promote rather than moving forward with your first choice.
Clickbank Affiliate Network – a Great Platform When Use the Right Way
At the end of the day, Clickbank is a marketplace that does payout it’s commissions so long as you play by the rules. Once you get past their requirements, you can expect to receive your commissions on time, every time.
Best of all, many of the products on the Clickbank platform can earn very high commissions and many people have created full-time incomes by recommending products and services offered inside of Clickbank.
Just make sure that you are taking the time to vet the product you’re promoting before you recommend them to your audience. Don’t be afraid to ask product creators for review copies as many of them will happily allow you free access to their products because they know if you decide to promote them, they’ll earn more money.
Also make certain that you attempt to contact product creators before recommending their products as this will allow you to have a better grasp on their customer service capabilities.
Are You Ready to Start Making Money with Affiliate Marketing?
Clickbank is just one of the many different affiliate networks on the Internet that will pay you for recommending goods and services to other people. Understanding exactly how to do this is crucial for the most success possible with affiliate marketing.
To have the most success possible with affiliate marketing, you need to follow a blueprint that has been proven to help people succeed time and time again. If you’d like to learn more about affiliate marketing and get started with a great product that can show you how to earn a full-time income online, take a moment to check out my top recommended resource.
After doing so, you can learn how to earn a full-time income promoting other people’s products, products from large retailers like Amazon, target Walmart, just to name a few, or by simply giving people the opportunity to try new apps, games and software for free
The community inside of my top recommended resource is one that will support you and help you learn how to achieve your own success with affiliate marketing.